Friday, October 15, 2010

Meet The Artist: Susan Begin - Mixed Media

My creative process is a connection to the natural environment and to the creativity of cultures around the world. Having some experience in archeological and botanical illustration, as well as in surface design, my work tends to be realistic with a touch of Art Nouveau. Nature and cultural art both have influence on the designs I produce, whether they are intended for a mural, a watercolor, or a mixed media piece.


Developing my style of mixed media artwork, while often using hardshell gourds, was a transition that felt very natural and appropriate. The organic shapes of the gourds easily accept a natural, organic type of design. My pieces take on many forms, which include masks, vases, bowls, lidded containers, large-scale vessels, and sculpture. Each piece is one of a kind; most involve carving, painting, and pyroengraving, with the addition of wood, wire, paper mache, and other dimensional materials.


I have had the opportunity to show my work to a large audience with televised appearances. In March of 2005, a segment of ‘Del’s Folks,’ a series produced by Cleveland’s WKYC Channel 3, featured my art on gourds. I also found exposure on Home and Garden Television’s ‘Crafters Coast to Coast,’ which aired in May 2005.


You can become a fan of Begin Designs on Facebook!!

No comments:

Post a Comment